March 13, 2014
IPCUG Meeting Minutes
Meeting was called to order by Vice President/Program Chair Gregg as President Hugh was home recovering from surgery.
We had 1 guest, Larry from the Overland Apple Store.
- “Meeting after the meeting” at Denny's
- IPCUG Board Meeting at Jerry's on Fairview, east of Cole Road. Thursday, March 27th, 7:00pm
- No- host breakfast at Golden Corral March 15th, 9:00am
- Linux User's Group at the Boise Public Library in the Gates Lab, Thursday, April 3rd, 6:30 pm
- Annual Pizza Party at Chicago Connection, Saturday, April 12, at 11:30am
- Boise Code Camp will be held Saturday, April 5th at the BSU Student Union Building. Go to boisecodecamp.com to register. 9:00am for breakfast.
- Topic for tonight will be on other options for Windows XP
- Still looking for submissions for logo changes. An entry will give you one ticket for the Chromecast drawing
- Discussion to have electronic newsletters only will be delayed as Brian is absent
Question & Answer Session:
Q: Printing newsletter issues
A: Possible driver update needed. Go to printer website and download latest driver package
Q: Any problems using the Costco refill program
A: None indicated. Others use Cartridge World, it was noted that Brother Printer support will not provide support for non-brother cartridges
Martin's Minute: Martin gave a short presentation on .jpeg photo data and also talked about hardware necessary for WIN upgrades.
Presentation: With both Hugh and Brian absent, Clint filled in with a presentation on being able to continue using Windows XP. Some of his points were:
- Many businesses still use Windows XP, and support can come through anti malware companies
- Make an image, store it for future usage. He suggested using Acronis or Clonezilla from Linux
- Clint used a 9 year old laptop to demo to show Linux and Windows XP compatibility in running programs. He also referred to using Audacity for music files and Ubuntu. Gregg brought in an up to date Ubuntu disk, which he and Clint used for a test drive. Six people present indicated they would like to have a SIG to get them up to speed with a Linux dual-boot addition to their PC's.
Meeting adjourned. Next meeting will be April 10th.